Monday, February 8, 2010

Deadly cold!


Gah! I have to pitty my poor readers... always having to read read read and nothing to look at! Sorry for the bad picture!!! I was breathing and Dandy probably had something to do with the results as well. It was SUPER cold that day. If it wasn't foggy, this picture would be pretty nice!


I have taken about 30 new pictures of Dandy and the colt yesterday, but it was dangerously cold and my camera decided that it was too cold to go on, so she died on me! LOL


I didn't do the horse's feet because the thought of the cold wind burning my face, restless horses and cold metal tools in my hands didn't appeal to me at all! it was -20C all day Sunday and we went snowmobiling Saturday, my sister, my brother, a friend and my SO, we had a blast, but my arms are KILLING me!!! That is another reason why I wasn't really feeling like trimming the hooves. I hadn't been on a snowmobile in about 4 years and we travelled for about 2.5 to 3 hours, so it was quite a shock for my limbs! We never do anything, my SO and I usually work work work all week and all weekend taking care of the farm, the horses and attending their needs. This was a first for us in a long time, especially doing something together!


We have talked about doing a horse packtrip much in the same lines as our snowmobile outing. We have a camp about an hour and a half in the bush. It is pretty secluded from normal life and most city folks would never think that people go so far in the bush just for fun, but I love it and I was practically raised there. So here is our plan: We want to leave from my place and get to the camp in one day. Sure, the horses need to be put in better shape and I need to shoe Peg and Pearl, but I already planned on doing that. We will have about 5 months to get the horses in good shape, our trip would be at the end of summer or beginning of fall, whenenver the flies are dying down. I would completely document the journey. The trail we plan on taking is an old road that we used to take to go up to camp, it has mostly grown back and is now only wide enough for quads to take and there isn't much traffic there at all. It does hug a river and there is much canoers there in the summer and fall, so we wouldn't be completely isolated.


I am not sure how many kilometers there is to get there, but I am pretty sure it could be done in a day on horseback. Plus we would get someone to take our stuff up by truck, so our horses would be spared the most of the load, only carying our food for the day, water, a first aid kit for man and beast and, of course, my camera! It is a pretty scenic route and I would love to go about it on horseback, it is gorgeous! I would obviously take a million pictures to share with you!


This is not an official decision and all will depend on the horse's health and ability at the time we plan to leave. I suspect that it would take us about 8 hrs to get there (quick calculation), including breaks for us and the horses. So it would be totally feasable in one day!


Tell me if you think I'm nuts or if you think this would be the ride of a lifetime, I sure plan on making it a reality. Don't be shy to tell me about your concerns and I can answer your questions. The trail does not contain any mountains, no harsh ground, the footing is mostly black earth and grass and there are creeks and streams on the way for the horses to drink from. I look forward to prepare for this, it is exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment