Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy!

*sigh*
It's not that I don't want to write, I just can't seem to find enough time in a day to do so! My work is absolutely crazy lately and by the time I get home (usually late), I can't bare to look at a computer and I'm more oriented towards my bed than anything else!


I have FINALLY come to uploading my pictures to my computer and here are some of them... unfortunately, I don't have any hoof pictures, I have done Peg's two front feet on Saturday morning and it took me so long to do them, putting them down, not being satisfied, picking them back up, rasping and rasping and rasping. Her hooves were long, well, for me, that's long! The reason I didn't take pictures is because I made my way all the way to the barn, caught miss Peg, cross-tied her in the barn... then I kicked myself in the butt for forgetting my darn camera in the house! I was too lazy and the wind was too cold to make my way back... plus I would've had to get someone to keep an eye on Miss Peg and I wasn't going to let her back in the field! She's hard enough to catch as it is! So, since I have to check back on her hooves this weekend, I will take some pics then. Her poor hooves are in bad shape, the heels are way too long and her frog does not get ground contact at all... so it basically is petrified... so I have to work on lowering her heels so that the frog can live again. You also know how unbalanced her feet are since she is bow legged... well I tried to fix that too... with ok results.


Dandy is due for a check on her feet this weekend too and I will do Pearl (she's the easiest) too if I have any strenght left at all. Hoof trimming is usually exhausting and I am very particular on how I want them, so I usually take the time it takes to get them perfect.. or nearly! But my back hates me afterwards!


The latest news is that I have moved Dandy back to my SO's farm. Peg and Pearl have been nasty with her at first, but they seem to be getting along better, at least they tolerate her. Nabisco (the cow) is doing fine with the horses and they eat all together without fight or chasing. Dandy did okay for the move, she got in the trailer after only one failed attempt (HOORAY for taking it easy the first time!), it was her second time in the trailer and she was pretty nervous. She was soaked when we got there and she had to stay in the barn for an hour with me and my SO drying her with towels and brushing her. Poor girl also knocked her head on the trailer (on the first attempt to climb in), which left a little bruise and a small spot with no hair on her forehead! My heart was broken! She seemed fine.
I was a bit rushed to move her, because she was pastured with a colt that was not yet guelded and was soon to be a yearling. I do not want Dandy bred at all, so I moved her and my mind is peaceful now. The poor colt was whinnying and screaming when we drove off, but he settled nicely and is now back to being normal... and alone. It will give him a chance to make humans his partners (not that he needs it!) and bond with them.


So here is Dandy and Wakan a week before I moved her... They were enjoying the hot sun and their coats were burning hot! It was somewhat cold with the blowing wind but I don't think they were bothered by it at all!


This is Wakan. He is 9 months old and a true Jet black. His coat does not seem to fade in the sun so much, but it's so long... he's a yak! He's a bit more bum-high and is about 12hh right now at the withers. He is a pure breed Canadien colt and is registered and DNA tested. I think he will make a pretty cute guelding! He is very people friendly and does not bite or kick. He is halter and lead trained, picks up all four feet, gets in a trailer and can wear a blanket no problem! He can also stand tied for quite a while before getting bored. It's hard to see his conformation since he is so black!

This is pretty much what we see all the time, he keeps following everyone around! (sorry for the crappy shadow of me taking the picture but I had to move in order to get this shot, he had is nose pressed to the lense!)
This is Dandy... probably looking at my dad, we had just put in a new bale of hay and she was curious about the twine removal process...
And here, I broke her concentration on the food when I called her... see her ears still focused on the bale... lol! You can also see how her coat has faded... compared to her face... she is still a true black, but her coat tends to fade in the sun and cold wind... just like our hair would I guess! When she sheds this coat out, the new one will be as black as night!

Enjoy and have a great evening... or morning, depending where and when you read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment