Monday, May 31, 2010

I'm alive!

Don't worry, I'm still alive!

I started a new job and I didn't have access to a computer for a while!

All horses are doing well, they are mischevious, as always. They have been put into a new grass pasture fenced by only an electric tape... they have broken out of there twice so they are back in their regular pasture since I don't really feel like being stressed over that all day, while I'm at work, 2 hours away... They broke out because of Dandy. She can't see very well and she constantly gets chased by the old girls, then runs in the tape and jumps over it. For a blind-ish horse, she is quite the escape artist! Then we went on a ride Friday night my SO and I, I took Dandy and he took Peg, his usual horse. We went out and enjoyed our ride... but when we came back, Pearl wanted to follow and she ran into the tape, and broke it!!! Now everyone was running free... since the tape was broke, we couldn't really shut the gate!

We rounded them up and put them back inside, where they belong. Fixed the fence and everything was great. Until last night, we had just left the farm and Dandy started running and went through the fence, she didn't break it, but she got outside (I don't know exactly how since I wasn't there). My SO's family tried to put her back in, but left the gate open, or probably didn't chase the horses from the gate when they opened it and all the horses got out... By the way, I was extremely mad at their stupidity, but what gives!?! They called my dad and he managed to get them in their old pasture, the one that is fenced with page wire. I was very happy, that's is where I would've put them. There is no point having them break loose every day!

So tonight, we will fix them up better so that they have access to the shelter, which was blocked off for some reason when we put them out in the new pasture.

I pulled Peg's shoes and trimmed her feet, Her walls have gotten MUCH thicker, that is a great thing since they were paper thin when I shod her. I trimmed her in a pasture trim with a toe rocker and she seems very comfortable. We went on our ride without her shoes and her feet held up great, no soreness, no lameness whatsoever! I was thrilled! Her feet aren't all deformed from the shoes, they actually took a better shape! I will put the shoes back on before the end of June, since we are participating in a parade on June 25, she will have her shoes to go on the concrete.

I also plan on shoeing Pearl with the same type of shoes. She will be ridden a lot this summer and I want her to be comfy! Their hooves have made good improvements since they are with us and I am glad that they are finaly comfortable enough to go on a short trail ride without being sore after.

I am planning to take more pictures soon. Misty is doing well with her training, she is now able to lead like a pro and I will be working on her feet very soon, I am up to touching below her knee on her front legs and her butt on her back legs (I work way slower with the back!!! :S). I will probably be working on picking up her feet very soon... I can't wait to see what they look like on the bottom. I also need a new pair of nippers, because my old ones are giving quite the run for my money and they are getting very dull, even after one sharpening, I don't think it is worth it to sharpen them again. I had Diamond nippers and I will be switching to Mustad for the next pair, I hear they are hard to beat so I'll give them a try.

That's pretty much all the news for now.

1 comment:

  1. Try boots. They're much safer than shoes on pavement, cheaper, too. Look up the EasyCare Glove. I LOVE them. Fab, fab, fab. Have your cake, and eat it, too! As for nippers, most professionals use GE's. I know they're expensive, but my mom used hers for over 20 years with only one remachining.

    Long time farrier turned barefoot, A McMahon

    ReplyDelete