Friday, May 14, 2010

Evading Cues 2

Jayke - I've tried pressure / release, making her work harder (since she wanted to move). As soon as I release pressure, she's gone in 5th gear! I absolutely HATE pulling in a horse's mouth, but this is inevitable. She really was a brat that day. She is 12 years old and a bit of navicular in one foot so round pen work is not totally out of the question but canter is out for sure... For once, I don't know what to do with this one!!! She's been ridden all of her life.

I think that many things caused her to be a brat that day:
1. She was in heat and wanted to go meet the stallion (which was a NO NO!).
2. She saw one horse coming back to the barn right when we were leaving.
3. The mare and new foal were out in the pasture and she didn't get to go greet them (She's the alpha).
4. I probably got on her nerves but holding her back so much.

I did correct her with a sharp smack on the butt with my 6 foot reins, she just came unglued and threw one of the biggest fits I've ever seen her throw, made her circle around, made her work hills... Arrg! I'm out of ideas. I've been riding her for over 3 years now and she's always a bit fast paced, but never such a b*tch and never actually ran through the hands of anyone, she was actually a pretty good mount.

In terms of her endurance, she could go for 2 days, non stop and would still come out galloping at the end. Her owner went on a 38 km ride one day and she had to hold her back the whole time, she trotted probably 95% of the way and was still rearing to go when they got to the end! So I guess I can forget making her tired for a 1.5 hour ride... She responds to rein cues quickly, but she won't stop, ever, she jigs, prances sideways, turns quick circles, backs up in the direction she wants to go... you name it, she does it. You can pull, push, kick, haul, smack... nothing will get her to stop and stand still, while only a month ago I had her standing as still as a post for as long as I wanted. What happened? Could someone have ridden her and caused some problems, was she uncomfortable?

Personnally, I think she was affraid to miss something at the barn. We used the same saddle, bridle, bit, pads and she got brushed and groomed just as much as she usually does. She wanted to see the stallion and couldn't, she pulled while being tied at the post twice (or more??), couldn't stand still... this is not usually her. I don't know how to take her attitude... with a strong reaction or a smoother one!?!??? How do I correct her, I tried harder being that I was sick of her attitude and it didn't do anything (?????), was it harsh enough, not enough, too much??? I don't know. Usually a firm voice reprimand is enough for this mare, but this time, I had to check her in the mouth, because she was looking everywhere and crossing more dangerous areas (creeks, mud holes) quickly without looking. Next time, I might gallop her up the hill a few more times, although I don't see it changing her spirit.

Next ride, I might take another horse altogether... I could enjoy my ride more... This makes me miss all of my horses so much and appreciate how smooth gaited, peaceful and respectful they all are (even Pearl!). Just goes to prove that you don't need full blood registered horses to have a great time... also shows that having too many horses (she has 9) makes training them difficult and half-assed most of the time. There is not enough time to ride them all and work them like they should. She has 9 horses and out of the 9, 2 are adequately broke (including miss attitude), 1 is being worked occasionnally, 1 is green broke and lazy, the stallion is green broke. There is one mare that was backed by me, but turned blind afterwards, one unbacked mare. One lightly worked 2 year old and one brand new foal that has been haltered. All her horses are haltered and imprinted, but the work stops after leadline training since there is just not enough time. While I don't appreciate this way of ... lets say.. hoarding horses, she is knowledgeable and her horses are mostly well cared for. They are vaccinated every year and handled and petted daily. The area that would need more work is hoofcare. She never lets the hooves grow super long, but could trim every 8 weeks instead of every 3-4 months.

As a horse owner and having my own horses to care, look after and worry about, I vowed to never let any other person and their way of keeping their horses get to me... it still does, but much less than it used to. After all, you can tell them until your face is blue that their horses need a trim or their teeth floated, but if they still don't do it, it is out of your reach. They will also have to endure the consequences.

I am 25 years old and am often not taken seriously when I provide advice to other (older) horsepeople... but I have to say that if I give advice, it's because I know my stuff, otherwise I would be keeping my mouth shut. I always research anything before it comes out of my mouth. What comes out readily is stuff I know well and have tested myself on my horses. I have done a lot of reading on general horse care and am pretty well seasonned. I've learned to take care of horses at the age of 6 and have been riding and caring for them since then, learning more and more on the way.

1 comment:

  1. ooo she's in heat! That may very well account for her craziness. When my first mare was in heat, she would attempt to fight with the other mare in our weekly lesson, but ignore her the rest of the time.

    If you can't run the snottiness out of her, than I would just focus on maintaining control of her and not getting worked up. I find that is my biggest issue with a horse that is misbehaving, I get so tense and defensive in my riding that I make the horse behave worse. Try and stay as relaxed as possible so she knows that there is nothing to worry about, and she can just chill out. If she wants to go into fifth gear, just let her (if you are in an arena) keep asking her to come back to you, and eventually she will.

    Or just wait until she's out of heat. :)

    ReplyDelete