Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Here she is!

After making everyone wait SO long, here is the new filly! 3 year old Misty. I agree that her feet are in dire need of a trim, but I am not ready to play with the guns, nor is she ready for me to touch her legs. Excuse the somewhat bad pictures, I was trying to get a good profile, but she was either shying away from me or wouldn't let me be... she thought my camera was food!!!

She is a Bay tobiano and I think she has some roaning on her butt and sides. She is shedding her winter coat and I did brush her a little bit, but she hated it when I got to the back portion of her flank and she took off when I touched the lower portion.



These pictures were taken on Friday, April 30, 2010. She is very muscular for a 3 year old filly that hasn't been worked and she has nice conformation.
She is about 14.2 hh to 14.3 hh. I have noticed some flaws on her back legs and I wonder where they came from. I saw old wounds (deep enough) and a bump on her pastern near the coronet band. In the next photo, you can see a small healed gash on the lower part of her canon and you can clearly see the bump on the lower pastern.
Saturday, we set out to work with her a little bit. I removed this darn rope halter and replaced it with a nylon one. Until she can be caught and haltered, she will have to wear it. None of my horses ever wear halters in the pasture, but this time, I have to for training purposes. Also, we have experienced putting a lead on her. I got my trusty cotton lead out... it's probably the toughest rope on earth... and the oldest!! My sister helped me with this because I have a really sore knee and my back wasn't really cooperating that day. So all goes good with the lead on her, she stands quietly and plays a bit with the rope, I feel comfortable and my sister too, so we decide to take it up a notch and try to make her walk.



Now I probably told you this before, but she hates having forward pressure on her halter, she just shoots backwards and freezes. This is a bit what happened, she was completely froze with a glazed look in her eye, she couldn't move a foot! So I decided to just move to the back of her to apply a little (psychological) pressure. So I put my hand out and gave a kissing noise. She took off running, my sister held on the whole time, she reared up, nearly fell backwards (but didn't) and when she landed back on her feet, it pulled the rope out of my sis's hands so she took of trotting with the rope on. The dragging rope didn't scare her and she resumed to grazing with Dandy. I thought we could never catch her again, but no! She stayed there and we were able to catch the rope. Since there was no way for her to go forward, we decided to start teaching her pressure from side to side. So we pulled her head to the side, she struggled the few first times but then gave a foot! We quickly rewarded by removing all pressure and started again from the other side, by the end, she was moving a foot without throwing her head or pulling back, so we stopped there, we were all tired and sweaty anyways.

We will resume training at that particular point this weekend, for the time being, she is still friendly and enjoys her ears being rubbed!

Remember when I said she had a HUGE hindquarter... well, here it is. I'll just remind everyone that she is 3! Dandy is 4 and being worked in collection and hasn't ever developped a huge butt like that... she's not far behind, but it doesn't look like this!
No need to tell you that she is FAST! Yet I am not used to having a performance bred QH in my yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment