Thursday, January 7, 2010

Interesting infomation!

I was just doing some reading up on trailering horses in winter... turns out that it's fine to trailer a horse in winter, even in a stock trailer. I've read this from several sites, written by vets. Our stock trailer does have a solid portion in front. It also says to not blanket too much as we would tend to do for ourselves. Horses are much better adapted to cold weather than we are and have an ability to maintain their core temperatures in very cold weather... I also read that the Guttural pouch in their throats would help warm the cold winter air before it enters the sensitive lungs!!! AMAZING! I'm not much for horse inner workings (except for hooves) so this is a first for me.

I am considering trailering now, since it will save me 250$. I will still buy a blanket and bring 2-3 liners to make sure she stays dry and cozy. The cost of the fuel will probably be about 100$, so I will probably spend about 250$ but I will have a new blanket to show for it!

Tell me what you guys think!

Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Just a thought... one of my horses really sweats up a storm in the trailer. Probably the stress; does yours sweat, if so it might be best to trailer him in just a sweat wicking cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did sweat a bit the first time, but she never set hoof back in a trailer... I think the sweat wicking cooler is a GREAT idea! I will look into that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a good idea. At least this way you'll have a lasting piece of equipment to show for your trouble. The only thing is I would beware if it is a particularly freezing day, say -20+. Do the articles you read give sample temperatures? Because the 'cold' they are referring to might only be a couple of degrees below freezing.

    Good job on the research though, that's the great thing about the internet, information is only a click away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're getting everything lined up. Good for you! -And new stuff is always a plus in my book!

    ReplyDelete