Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year everyone!!

We have just started a new year, for some of us, it's a fresh start, for others it's a chance to go further, do more, do better.

I haven't taken up a resolution yet, but I would like to get Dandy in a better health. I have resigned myself to call a vet. I am pretty tight for cash in this harsh period (economically speaking) and getting a vet to my house costs a fortune. I will be saving up for this over the next few weeks, at the same time evaluating her every move. I am no longer planning on riding her at all. I am giving her the rest of the winter off. Unfortunately, this will mean complete re-training comes spring. I've rode her a week ago and noticed that she had lost a lot of her softness and is now easily distracted.

She has been getting grain and supplements for the past 3-4 weeks. I've seen some improvement, but then it's right back to square one. Her feet need re-trimming to correct the darn slant she has in her fronts (that'll probably always be there because of neglect before I bought her). She has not lost weight, she is still her same old self, she runs and plays like she used to, she just coughs... My patience is wearing thin and I'm feeling so helpless toward her situation. It's come at a bad time, I need glasses that cost me a fortune, then she gets sick and just yesterday, my dog got what seems to be an eye infection that might require vet attention. What is more important!? Can leaving Dandy with this illness be dangerous for her? What should I do? I don't want to lose her and am not ready to sell her or give up on her either. I'll call vet offices to get a price... hopefully, I can afford it really soon. I don't want to make up excuses, but I've just started in life, I have a mortgage to pay, a car, insurance, taxes and bills to pay, plus I'm up to my neck in debt from student loans, credit lines, etc. I'm 24 years old and I feel like I'm carrying a lot of stuff on my back.

I just feel like crying at the thought of everything and it has been cause for many sleepless nights. Obviously, Dandy's problem will not resolve on its own, I obviously need glasses, I can't see a darn thing, then the dog... what will become of him. I hope one of the darn cats didn't scratch his eye, that could've happened. My dog is a 3.4 lbs Yorkshire Terrier, he is 3 years old and only goes outside to do his business and play when it is not too warm or cold. If there are cats in sight, he will chase them, even though they are twice his size, they sometimes scratch at him, but they are used to being around dogs and mine don't usually send them running for the hills. I will clean out his eye tonight and see how it goes.

I'll keep posts on how things go... vets are hard to come around where I live, most are over an hour away from my farm. I only know about two that practice on horses, the others are in Ontario and can't practice in Quebec, I would have to haul my horse there and I won't do that when it is freezing cold outside. It's my only option.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear you have a lot on your plate!

    We all get to a certain place in life when stresses take over and we just feel like saying 'no more'.

    Just think about it like this: Like you said, Dandy is still happy, she runs and plays and hasn't lost weight, so she's probably not in any discomfort. I wouldn't fret too much if you can't get a vet out this very minute.

    As for your dog, rinse his eye out frequently with clean fresh water, if it doesn't improve, head on over to the vet, it's likely something that can be cured with an ointment.

    Perhaps you should consider pet insurance for your horses and dog? That way if something awful happens it won't wipe out your finances. I've only got one cat, but when I start to accumulate animals, I'm definitely going to get some.

    Try and focus on the good things in life! When stuff starts to get you down, take some time out to do your favorite things, whether it's watch a movie, hitting the gym, or giving your horse a good brush.

    ReplyDelete