Thursday, October 8, 2009

Welcome to my Blog!

Hi and welcome to my blog! This blog will be about my life with horses, stories of younger days up to today. I have three horses of my own Dandy is my first horse, she is a Percheron X Quarter horse and is over 3.5 years old. She is currently a trail horse and doing fantastic!
The two other horses are rescues from the track, they were both Standardbred pacers that were sent to meat after their career. The first one is Peg (registered name: Mattsabreeze) daughter of Hall of Fame inductee Matts Scooter, she is 16 years old and Bay, a bit arthritic, about 16.2 hands high, I broke her to saddle and she is doing well, easy going and bombproof. The second Standardbred is Pearl (registered name: Minto's Foly) she is 18 years young, sound as any 5 year old that never worked a day in their life, she is a bit high strung, I have a more touching story about Pearl that will be published a bit later. Pearl is onnly about 14.2 or 14.3 hands high and was hard to break to saddle, she is a bit of a rearer, but we are breaking her of it and she seems to be doing really good out on trails.
Both my Standardbreds were neglected when I got them, they scored about a 2 on the scale (maybe Pearl scored a 1.5, she was thinner). I will have pictures in the next posts but for now, I can only share pictures of Dandy, since Dandy was not abused, she was a bit thin when I got her and lacking essential vitamins and minerals... her hooves were way overgrown, so I will have some pictures of that too.

Here she is in our 40 acre pasture this August... the little guy you see behind her is a horse that was boarded at our barn, he is a little fugly hackney x arab x something x something... anyway, you get the idea! She is pure black so this photo does not do her justice, it was the end of the summer and her short hair was starting to turn brown and fall out.
In this picture, I was trying to get a front view but she wouldn't stop walking towards me... you know how it is! She thought my camera was a treat or something! You can see she had been eating minerals... there's some on her side!

So that's my blog... I will try to post everyday... I might get a story on later tonight too, since this was just an introduction.

2 comments:

  1. She's beautiful! I love the second picture, her expression is great, and you weren't kidding, she's as black as night.
    I'm adding you to the blogs I follow, looking forward to the next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Jayke, I'm surprised I already have one follower!

    ReplyDelete