Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ongoing battle

This is Dandy in 2009!


So since May of 2008, I've worked on training Dandy. I've thought her to lead correctly, stand tied and stand when I stop walking, I thought her to lift her feet for picking and trimming (she was pretty aggressive about her feet, but they had never been touched), I thought her to saddle and bridle quietly, to lead with a bit, I've work on long reins with her, done tons of groundwork (mostly Parelli, but not the seven games, just moving around and respecting my space, I might've modified it a bit).



After some extensive work on the ground, I've decided to get on Dandy's back, she'd been home for nearly a month and I felt I would try her out. She was leading well and getting more light to the cues. By that time, she had been desensitized to pretty much anything from blanket to swinging ropes, etc. So I tied her lead rope to the other side of her halter and hoped on bareback... now, I know... I was completely aware of the risks of my actions. I am an adult and I am aware of the risks involved in training horses. My first ride lasted about 10 minutes, I just wanted Dandy to understand that it's ok for someone to sit on her back and also, to give to pressure to turn and stop. She did well, but offered to buck (without actually going through with it) and she got a mean "hey" from me, that was enough to discourage her to do it.



A few weeks later, I got a saddle, tryed it on Dandy and it was perfect. I saddled her and went for a little ride in the backyard, our ride was brief, I didn't want to push my horse... plus, she had to take in so much information, legs, hands and all of the surroundings, I didn't want her to feel overwhelmed. I never pushed Dandy during her training. When I gave her a cue, like trot, I expected her to go into a trot, but I wouldn't push her to continue when she stopped. This has worked well for me, since now, I can trot her and if she gives an indication that she wants to slow down, I only squeeze my legs lightly and she answers right away. She rarely offers to stop trotting, since it is her favorite gait. She will do a dressage-y trot, a jog or a fast trot and can go all day.



My training philosophy is "Give your horse as little cue as it takes" you will then have a light horse. The heavier cues are used mostly when a horse is not responsive or does not understand... but even then, it's important to climb the ladder with lightest, light, heavier, then correct with a quick snap (at that stage, your horse is probably ignoring you and that will get his attention focused back on you). I do not like to hit horses, but I absolutely do not tolerate biting, kicking or striking, that kind of behaviour will get a mean correction (smack on the shoulder with a lead rope until horse backs off, smack on leg that tried to kick me or a quick smack on the nose for biting or trying to bite) My horses aren't headshy and understand that this is not acceptable behaviour. Now, they hardly ever offer to kick, bite or strike. I can't stand seeing someone being threatened by their horse, dragged around, getting their feet stepped on, bit, etc. I'm not saying that this never happened to me, but that I do not allow it to happen and they get corrected if somehow they managed to do it.



I feed treats to my horses... they do not nip at me. They are only mouthy when I have the treats in my hand but they know that they can't touch me until I offer the treat... and I offer the treat when I want to... not when they decide that they want one. I work their patience and they won't get a cookie until they back off! Be consistent, horses are big creatures and can seriously hurt you without even putting effort into it. Horses are our friends and work partners... don't allow your horse to do something that you wouldn't allow another human to do, in other words, you wouldn't let a human walk all over you... well, don't let a horse do that!!! We seem to be more tolerant of misbehaviours from our pets and animals than other peoples. They won't love you more if you don't discipline them, love is unconditionnal for animals, but they will certainly respect you more if you discipline unwanted behaviour... and there is nothing like respect to build a strong and reliable relationship. My Dandy will come over to see me wether she is with 10 other horses or alonce, if she can't make it quickly enough, she will nicker to let me know she is on her way. If horses are mirrors, she certainly reflects the love I have for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment