Friday, October 23, 2009

My best friend


I've had Dandy for 1.5 years now... Along the way, she was somewhat transformed. As a matter of fact, I don't recognize the horse that I bought in spring of 2008.


I went trough a lot with Dandy even in that short year. She became my best partner and a friend that was always there to listen. I've learned to know her and respect her and she did the same for me... although there was a lot of dominance and trust issues at first. She knew I would always guide her so she wouldn't get hurt and she understood that I wanted the best for her, so she didn't need to be scared. We've had our ups and downs with training, sometimes, she would fall back to that rank bitch I brought home, but mostly because on those days, I felt impatient and cranky. She is a true mirror of me.


I know I've thought everything to Dandy, everything she knows today is because I was there to help her along, otherwise, she would've ended up in a dog food factory. Dandy too has thought me so much! I've learned to control my emotions and feelings, to talk smoothly even if the barn was coming down, she kept me in check on my feelings too! She would make sure that I could control myself at any time, in any situation. She tested me on every level, she tests everyone that touches her or gets on her back. Now that I've proved myself, she doesn't do it anymore.


I've learned to trust her enough to know when she is feeling nervous (it's like sitting on another horse), if she is faking (does not want to go forward for no reason... or if there really is a bear down that trail!). She has learned to understand what I want from her, to forgive my sometimes clumsy mistakes... and I've learned to forgive hers too and to take it easy. Dandy is a sensitive horse (not extreme sensitive) and she needs calmness and gentle handling, if you rough her around, she will rough you around right back.


We've had good rides, bad rides but I've only fallen off of her once. I could tell she was sorry and she has learned to keep an eye on me and I keep an eye on her. I've thought her that things that look scary (like dogs or cows) will go running the other way if you just impose your presence enough. We are currently working on cattle... she is still shy about them. She was around cattle most of her life so the sight and sounds from them don't bother her. The other day, while I was sorting some cattle to send them to an adjacent pasture... Dandy seemed great, we were closing on our cow to send her past the gate when the cow decided she would cut in front of Dandy... I pushed Dandy to close the gap and "shut the door" to the cow, but she slammed on the brakes and jumped sideways to let the cow happily run us by... I nearly fell off, lost both stirrups and was nearly hanging off the side, Dandy still cantering in the field... I had to canter without stirrups until I could get my balance back, then I stopped her, she didn't freak out, she just continued reliably on... the fact that I was squeezing my calves to hang on didn't help in slowing her down!


We have a great bond, I can make her go over, under or through anything and even if she is scared, she'll still do it because she trusts that I will never hurt her.


I love her to death, just wanted to share my love and appreciation for her with all of you.

2 comments:

  1. You've been featured on the Mugwump Chronicles! You should post your blog address in the comments, more people should know about your story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... I've been sick all of last week... so I'm just catching up on everything!

    ReplyDelete