Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Time goes by so fast!

I was thinking the other day that I've now owned Dandy for almost 2.5 years!!!! I sure don't feel like she's been with me that long. I keep thinking that she did awesome in her training when, actually, a lot of work went into it and she didn't just transform in a young mischevious filly to a beautiful, well manered, bomb-proof mare. I worked on many things with Dandy that I hardly remember... collection, gaits and speed, trust and confidence.

Yes, Dandy will go through right about anything if I say it's ok... even if all the other horses are scrambling and refusing to put a foot near whatever is spooky, I can usually walk right by the spooking horses and step right on the spooky thing and she never bats an eye.

She wasn't like that when I started her, but a lot of work and praise paid off. I've put up a good number of fights with Dandy, some lasted almost an hour, some others, minutes, but I vowed to ALWAYS win those fights, even if I had to spend the day, even if I was tired, sweaty, sore, hungry and even if I really wanted to go home.

Now I have another unhandled horse in training... Misty. She is 3 years old, which is a year older than when I bought Dandy as a two year old. She is unhandled (like Dandy), but socialized (like Dandy) and I believe she's had some kind of training that went bad, but I couldn't be sure (like Dandy)... So I'm stuck with this horse that has probably been mentally abused or broken... I need to fix this the first. When I got Dandy, I spent countless hours just petting and being with her. Dandy had no manners and tried to kick your head off everytime you entered her pasture. At least, Misty doesn't do that, but she has been thought to pull back on anyone trying to lead her, this must've worked for her. I've been able to break that habit and now, she leads like an old mare... litterally, she is like a 34 year old mare... she walks slow, nothing phases her... I thought she would have more go than that, oh well!

When I got Misty, I couldn't even stand near her shoulder, she'd move and put me right in front of her, she was way more comfortable if there was a fence between us and wouldn't allow me to pass behind her no matter how far I was. I would touch her and she would cringe. Now, I can touch her anywhere, stand on either side or right behind her without any problem. Fences are no longer a shield and I can grab all 4 legs (Kudos again to my sister for being brave enough to pick up the back feet)... in all honnesty, the back feet were less dramatic than the front... it's just my comfort level vis-a-vis à back leg. Misty even gave us a little hard time by not wanting to pick up her feet... but I have my share of tricks for that and she learned that it was more comfortable to pick up her feet than to leave me hanging. I even trimmed her feet, all of them!

All of this to say that after 20 years on and around horses, they still impress me to the highest level. Their intelligence, their connection to all living things, the way they can understand and learn or teach us a few things... I keep being amazed everytime I train a new horse. Misty is the 5th horse that I will exclusively train and I can still stare in awe at them!

I believe that horses have a greater connection to humans than the one humans share among themselves. The way they can understand without us even having to talk or act, the way simple energy will either make or break a horse, their expression... I've always felt a strong connection with horses and for some reason, I've always wanted to be on one even if my immediate family didn't have and never had horses. I fell in love from the moment I saw them. They certainly make you much more self-aware and conscient about energy, weight distribution, balance... you know the primal things in life that seemed to have disappeared with technology.

When I was three years old, I took my first pony ride. I remember what was going on in my head... I just couldn't get over the fact that we could train animals to carry us, let alone such beautiful and majestic animals. I couldn't get enough of the leather scent, I was hooked on horses and I was only three years old. From then on, I kept bugging my parents to buy me a horse (or pony), I watched every show jumping, rodeo, parade, etc. on TV just to watch the horses. I could've watched the same thing 50 times and I would still want to see it, just to see the horse move, the mane flowing in the wind.

At five, I had a friend that had a horse (I didn't know she had a horse when I met her). So I started riding, supervised by her mother, we had to wear a helmet (those old black felt covered things that didn't have a chin strap... really it was useless!) and proper attire and we learned to ride from there. I had my share of falls but it never discouraged me out of horses. After about 15 years in horses, I started working with them and training. I am not an accredited trainer, but I've been around them long enough to know how they work and so far, my method is just as good as John Lyons... When we finally got Internet, I read about him and found a lot of similarities between his techniques and mine... there are only a few basic things that you need to understand to effectively gain your horse's trust and willingness to work.

1­. Never loose a fight.

2. Release of pressure is the reward (pressure can be energy from your body or physical pressure, like on a lead rope).

3. Never be affraid of your horse, if you show him weakness he will take it upon himself to lead the group (you) and the weak (you).

4. Be gentle and remember to give time to your horse to answer what you are asking of him.

5. Always reward, never punish (I only punish if I know a horse has bit or kicked me on purpose (i.e.: not trying to get rid of a fly or whatever)). If a horse hurts me, I take it upon myself to hurt him, at least minimally, back. Remember that they can kill you with a strike of a hoof. Be severe about what you allow them to do around you. Before I completely trust a horse, I do not let him put his head on me, unless I ask and it is usually for a very short period. After I completely trust them, I will put their head on my shoulder or let them press their heads on my stomach for as long as they like.

I believe that those tips are the secret to success with your horse. The training techniques only come after you have established that trust and companionship.

So tell me about what amazes you or has amazed you about your first or current horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment