Monday, July 12, 2010

My Vacation

It has been a whole week since I'm back from vacation and have not even posted about it yet!


I have been so busy at work and in life, it's very exhausting.


So, here goes:


My vacation went well, as I vowed to do, I spent a lot of time resting and relaxing. I could feel the exhaustion creeping up on me. I really needed this vacation.


I had scheduled all of my appointments on Monday in order to be done with them as soon as possible. So I went for bloodworks on Monday at 8:00 am and I had to take my car to the garage right after. So I was home by 2:00 pm that day! Unfortunately, I missed the better part of the day waiting for my car at the dealer. My mom and I had plans for the week that consisted of resting and going out on the river for a pedal boat ride every day. We also had plans for a morning walk every day. Things didn't really turn out that way...


On Monday, right after diner the wind picked up, it had been windy all day, but this wind was much stronger. My dad was outside with my dog, so I glanced out at them and I saw a great big storm brewing at the far end of the river, I could actually see the wind coming in and the rain right after the gusts. My dad made his way quickly inside the cottage and joined me in the sun room to witness this storm.


The winds started strong and were causing waves 2 feet high or more (on a freshwater river or lake, this is pretty impressive) with white caps on every one of them. I took pictures from inside the cottage so excuse bad quality...
Below: This is how it started, the wind had just started to blow. Notice the rain blowing in the wind on the other side of the river. It was not yet raining where we were.

Below, the wind proceeded to blow at gusts of 100 km/h ( Or 60 mph). We could hear the roof of the cottage cracking and huge branches were breaking from the surrounding trees and falling on the roof, then, they were quickly swept off of the roof and blown accross the street over 300 feet away!

Then, the rain hit, the wind died down a bit (although it was still very windy, it wasn't dangerously windy anymore). Excuse for the pictures through screened windows, but I wouldn't have gone outside for a large amount of money!

It's pretty hard to believe but the following pictures were taken the same night, less than 2 hours after the storm. This is the view from our cottage. It was still windy, so for reference, the river is usually calmer than this.


I actually managed to capture a sunset. The following days of my vacation were pretty cold and rainy until Thursday, where I returned to the farm to do some chores and bale the hay. My vacation fell short of my expectations, but I still managed to rest during those cold and rainy days, so I'm back at work, feeling 100%! I didn't get to ride until Friday (I think)... I had vowed to ride every second day at least... didn't happen, but I did check on the horses and spent more time with them every day, even in the rain... I spoiled them rotten!


Our hay was a real success this year, it has not seen any rain from the moment it was cut to the moment we've put it in the barn for storage... it is of very good quality and does not contain any dust like last years'! HOORAY! We've already fed some to the horses... they seem to REALLY like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment