Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Heat!

We are in what seems like an unterminable heat wave every day for the past 2.5 weeks.

All ranging over the 30C (86F) and as high as 47C with the humidity factor (Over 116F). Needless to say that it is UNBEARABLE! Today, we are expecting 35 C (95F). This is borderline normal for our part of the world. Our temperatures can dip to as low as -40 C (-40F) in winter and we've seen as low as -44C (-47F) some years. We are used to and are most comfortable in weathers that are around 20-25 C (68-77F). This is scortching for us!

It is not showing any signs of letting down either. Tommorow, we are calling for temperature close to 40C (104F) and Friday also. The weekend is supposed to be closer around 34C, but this is still warm. For the last two weekends, we have taken the horses out, but have not been able to ride much at all... we have to take long breaks, water them and give them at least one hour in the shade to cut the ride... we are also holding back from asking them to move faster and, therefore, aren't able to work on their conditionning or training at all.

I'm not complaining, but I don't think we've ever had a summer with so many consecutive hot days. Usually, by this time, a huge thunder storm has cooled us down. I am also a little POed because I totally froze my bum for the greater half of my vacation and now, Mother Nature is offering sunshine and warm weather by the bowlfull! We've also had to do our hay in this weather and for anyone who has ever unloaded and stacked over 300 square bales in temperautes over 40C and incredibly humid weather, my hat is off to you, because it just about killed me! The humidity makes it hard to breathe, you constantly sweat a waterfall, dirt sticks on you and the heavy-ness of the air just drains you. I understand that our hot weather is not quite like the southern weather, where it is much dryer.

As much wind as we've had, now there isn't any breeze. I am grateful for my air conditionning!

Horses are all well in their cool shelter, they all fit right in with plenty of room and they always have fresh water. They get really hot if they are out and enjoy a cool shower if they are worked.

The cows enjoy the bush for shade and don't graze at all during the warmer hours... but they will come out for a treat!

Well, at least I work in an air conditionned building, but it's obviously struggling since I find it really hot in here... is it normal to sweat while typing???!!!?? EESH! I can't wait to go home!

I was wondering if it's this hot in other parts of Canada... BC? Newfoundland?

2 comments:

  1. It was that hot here in Nova Scotia all last week! I had to wait until at least 8pm every night to go for a run, and even then it was still 30C with humidity. My SO is a landscaper and he wasn't too pleased about the heat.

    We are lucky though, the weekend brought rain to ease the heat and it's been pouring here ever since. Our gardens and parks are getting a good soaking, which they need, because we've got another heat wave in the forecast.

    Keep cool! Drink lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My SO is a roofer... needless to say that he didn't get a whole lot of hours in last week and ths week either. There is definately more heat going your way, but it'll be slightly cooler than what we've seen...

    ReplyDelete