Friday, June 25, 2010

Vacation!


As you may or may not know, my vacation starts in less than 5 hours! This means that I wont be able to write on my blog for the next week. I am going to the cottage, where there is no Internet, no phone or TV... I can't wait!


Here are some of my plans for my vacation.


1. Ride, at least every other day.

2. Spend quality time with my mom, who is also on vacation!

3. RELAX! I need to rest, I feel exhausted.

4. Spend some time outside, as usual.


I didn't plan any work on the farm, because I feel like I REALLY need the break. I will still be able to go to the farm every day to check up on everyone and everything.
We had an earthquake here on Wednesday (5.0 on Richter scale)... the horses seemed fine about it. The dogs were just going crazy! I was in an office building and it shook quite hard, stuff was falling off the walls and at one point I really felt as if something could fall on my head at any given time. Of course, I didn't know what it was given that there is the G8 and G20 summits and that we were advised to be on our guards about suspicious people (I work for the Canadian Government)... At first I thought it was an explosion, then I felt like the upper floors were crashing down, that's when I took my purse and ran for it.


It's not until I was out of the building to notice no material damage to it that I realized that it wasn't a bomb... then I saw the streets flooding with people and realized that our building wasn't the only one afffected, then the thought of an earthquake was the most likely. Anyways, nobody was hurt and there wasn't major material damage, just a few reported cases. It is the first strong earthquake that I witness and let me tell you that I could feel the building swaying from side to side. I'm sure I was as white as a ghost and my legs were shaking the whole time I was going down the stairs. I thought my office window was going to fall out of the sill! I didn't know if it was going to get worst before it got better, so I got out, like everyone else actually.


Anyways, glad that's over!


We are participating in a parade tonight for our annual professional rodeo. It opens tonight with a horse and buggy parade. I am taking Dandy, Peg and Pearl. It will be Dandy's first time in a crowd and with horses that she doesn't know... I don't know how it'll go since she is so friendly and always wants to meet all the new horses. I don't think that she'll be out of control, once we get working, she always pays attention to the rider. I'm not at all worried for Peg and Pearl, the old girls have been in races, they know the whole crowd, noise and strange horse stuff. It'll be their first time since they got rescued that they'll participate in any horse event. They have been with me for over a year now, they are both doing great and are very happy horses.


I will take many pictures of the preparation to the parade and the horses... I will get my mom to take pictures of the parade itself... since I am riding in it... it's kind of hard to take pics and I don't want to carry the camera with me. It's a great first time for Dandy, since there isn't supposed to be any sirens, I'm sure it wouldn't phase her, but I might feel more comfortable! :)


So I'm off on vacation and will only be back in the office on July 5th. By then, if I'm not too busy, I might post stories and pictures! Have a great week everyone and I hope that you did take some time off from work to enjoy summer... my week isn't supposed to be too hot, but not too rainy (except Monday, but I have erands to run!). See you in 10 days!

2 comments:

  1. You were in the earthquake?! I heard about it and was thankful I'm not in Ontario.

    Have a wonderful vacation, sounds like you have a very relaxing time planned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I work at about 30 minutes from the epicentre, which was 5.5 on Richter. I felt a bit startled! Worst part is that I didn't know what to do on the moment so I was just standing there, in my office.

    Thanks! I will try to relax but we do have a few things planned...

    ReplyDelete