Monday, June 14, 2010

I'm Tired! **WARNING, RANT**

Well... I didn't take any pictures this weekend... I'm sorry for myself and the weekend didn't turn out to be so exciting after all.

My friends were ok, but a bit opportunistic, I must apologize in advance for the mega rant. We provided free accomodation for them for 2 days in our riverside cottage and provided most of the food and drinks. We used our car for all of the site-seeing and going from point A to B. They were supposed to provide dinner for four, but the portions were a little bit skimpy and I would've had more if there was any left, but there wasn't.

I told them to bring anything else that they wanted to eat, but they sponged off of my stuff and drinks. They'd brought beer, but left it out of the fridge and never offered one to anyone. They are usually opportunistic in that way and I knew that before I invited them over.

Also, they took up our cottage for one weekend, my family couldn't use it and they never noticed that this was a privation for my family, who love going to the cottage. We were thanked and I was left with the impression that their weekend might have been disapointing for them.

On Saturday morning, they called me and told me that they'd gotten a flat tire and would be late. They had no clue how to change a tire so they had to call someone to do it for them and it cost them $40!!!!!!! I could've done it in 15 minutes flat... for free...!!! They have no knowledge of country life and have insulted me a few times by saying that they didn't think there was much work to do on a farm and that I was exagerating!!!! Then they saw what was to be done and finally shut up about it. They also said that riding a horse couldn't be hard... you just sit there right? Well, this weekend, I saddled Dandy and showed them how a well trained horse responds and they got off with a new respect for riders everywhere! (Accomplishment!!).

Then we visited tourist attractions in our small town and walked in the woods. They had a hard time keeping up with me and are much thinner and supposed to be more in shape than I am!!! They had to have a nap when we got home! On Sunday, we went on a trail ride at a ranch... It was too far to bring my own horses, but I think it might be worth it next time, because I felt like I'd been ripped off when I paid the lady... I mean, I was BORED out of my mind the whole time. If anyone is under the impression that by riding a string horse you are an expert, you just poked your two eyes out with a stick! These horses wont do ANYTHING for anyone. I managed to get mine out of the line and beside other horses, but it took all I had. I got him to trot a bit too, I was so bored, I let go of the reins for most of the trail just to add a bit of excitement... it was hardly enough. My sister and I were looking at each other and saying how bored we were. I wish a bomb would've exploded right beside my horse... probably would've gave me something to do.

I have also found out that Dandy is not so much a beginner horse like I thought she was. She is much too sensitive and I felt bad to watch newbies kick her instead of just putting their leg on her, I had shown them exactly how to do it. I had to tell them to tone it down if they didn't want to go from a standing stop to a galop in half a second. Dandy was getting a bit POed with the newbies and their heels up, cinching her sides and yanking her mouth, so I stopped the procedure and led them around instead. Dandy is also a bit too forward, she wants to trot all the time. I have no problem keeping her at a walk, but newbies weren't keeping her under control, either had too much contact on her to make her stop and back-up or not enough that she would take her head and start trotting, then they would try slowing her down with the typical hands too wide, behind the hips and legs tightly on the horse to keep telling her to trot on, and faster. I just stood there and face-palmed myself in my head.

After explaining how to ride properly, they were all over the place and completely out of control. I told them that reins and legs are like a hallway, the horse'll stay between the walls if you keep walls up for him.. if not, he will be all over the place. I understand that it might have been a challenge for them to do it right, but I actually had them sitting on the horse and placing their limbs (hands and legs), explaining exactly what to do for everything. I gave courses to my mom and she was better than that after never being on a horse... she actually rode Dandy successfully on her own, on a trail, no coach, no other horses. I'm proud of my mom after seeing this... at least I know that I'm not a bad teacher!

I rode Dandy the last to tune her back and actually cantered a circle beautifully! She was wanting to canter way more since I hadn't ridden her in 2 weeks, but I didn't have much more time. Well, at least I earned a bit more respect in my field and for the horse riders in general *** Thank you, thank you!!*** :P

All in all... a not so bad weekend, but if the tables had been turned and that they would've sheltered me for free, I would've at least paid their trail rides (knowing me)... especially if I knew that they would've absolutely not done it without me... since they had good horses at home. So I am putting up new rules for the next visitors:

- Accomodations will be provided, given a fee to rent the cottage (fully furnished, w/o food), that way, my expenses will be at least a bit covered, especially for activities that I have done a thousand times and do not really want to do if I didn't have guests. Would at least pay my parents for preventing the use of their cottage, at least minimal fee and my gas money for all the travelling they require.

- If they want to go on a trail ride, it will HAVE to be on the ranch in my town and I will need to bring MY own horses for myself and my sister if she wants to tag along. I am not riding another difficult, bored and sour dude horse when I have awesome, responsive horses at home that are looking to work!

- Cash will need to be carried at all times, I will not provide resources to people that do not have cash handy, especially if they know that cash is needed at all times. They never carry any cash and we actually had to fork the money to have her flat tire repaired!!!!! I almost fell on my a** when I knew that she had had to have the towing guy change her tire and that she had to go to the bank to get money to pay him because she didn't have any on her person... and that once we got to the tire shop to get the darn thing fixed, she STILL DIDN'T have any cash on her, this tells me that instead of taking out a fair amount of money from the bank, including the $40 to pay the towing guy who was kind enough to help them and not laugh, they only took out $40 and gave it to the towing guy and were left with no cash, AGAIN!!!!! *facepalm!!!* The tire shop doesn't accept any cards, which is common in my small town. I always tell them to keep cash on them when travelling; if you get in a bind, you can ask someone to help and actually give them 20$ to have saved your day! I mean, come on!!!! They are not very street savvy.

They are really good friends, but never think about anyone but themselves... I would've appreciated a small amount for the cottage and other enormous expenses we had to endure for them!! Oh well, at least they had a blast... I guess we have to sacrifice our fun to show others some of the pleasures of life... at the same time, I learned a few new things about myself and my horses.

I'm sorry for the rant, but I had to get it off of my chest... I don't like people that take advantage of other's resources and take them for granted. I am always the one to send invitations right and left and never get invited anywhere by any of my friends... why???

No comments:

Post a Comment