Thursday, April 29, 2010

Plans for the weekend


I don't really know what I'll do this weekend. I would really like to take Dandy for a ride and I would really like to start Misty (the new gal) on her lead training. You'll say... well, work Dandy on Saturday and train on Sunday. But they are calling for rain pretty much all weekend. Last time I checked, there was a slight chance that it'd be sunny on Saturday. I don't want to over train Misty, but I don't know how long it'll take before she understands the pressure thing.


I might have time to slip in a ride too... we'll have to wait and see. I also want to take pictures of the new girl and the calf and all the horses and cows, since I usually take pictures every month and that my last ones date from winter. I also have Dandy's back feet to trim, but they are maintaining good shape, so I'm in no hurry. While I trim them, I might as well touch up the fronts.


Misty would also have to get trimmed, but she is in no state of mind to do so... I might as well go stand in traffic and hope not to get hit... my chances of survival would be pretty near the same.


Her feet aren't cracked and seem tolerable for her, she has nice movement and a trot to die for! I will try to take video of her moving as well.


I hope it won't rain. We also have a ton of things to do on our fields and to maintain the farm in general. I'll try to split the tasks between my SO and I, so I can have time to work the horses and he can work on the fields. Oh yeah, and Peg's shoes need to be pulled... well, I think, they were in very good shape last week so I decided to leave them on. I hope she remains sound without them. She has one bad leg, the other one has changed dramatically since the shoes are on. I will check her feet regularly when the shoes are pulled.


I can't wait until most of the work to seed our fields is done... but then it's going to be hay cuttin' time and baling... we might get some weekends off in between... I want to break the filly to saddle and get as much work done on her before winter... and she'll probably get a few rides in winter too! I hope all that training goes well... I was never worried like that for any other horses that I've trained or worked with... she's aggressive!


We'll start with one thing, and that's the lead rope, then I want to touch her all over, probably with the aid of a stick or whip to extend my arm as to not get kicked. Why did I get myself an unbroke filly!?!?!?!??! The price was right and it's a really well bred and nice horse, but is it worth it?!? I'll have to tell you in a few months...

No comments:

Post a Comment