Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What is wrong with her!


So, since you all know that Dandy is sick and has been for months (improving and getting worse again)... I think I finally put my finger on her problem!

This weekend, we had to put some hay in the feeders before big snow falls, so we feed round bales in sheltered feeders.

Dandy seemed to be fine... until we put the bales in the feeders. There was a bit of dust and she started coughing right after the bales were in. I'm thinking she has allergies to dust in hay. The hay is not moldy and a very good quality... so it is either allergies, or she has developped heaves (which would surprise me). I plan on testing my theory by isolating her from the round bales and feeding her soaked hay for a few days. If this turns out to be too much trouble (temperature wise, being below freezing), I will buy some hay cubes for her and feed her those. I just want her lungs to catch a break and be able to recover.

I am currently looking for anti-inflamatory paste like Banamine... I don't know if this would help but I will get informed... I plan to call a vet to get more info on this. The antibiotic treatment that I have given her a few weeks ago seem to have worked and totally decreased her runny nose and coughing... I will evaluate her after the soaked hay to see if there is any improvement.

I will look for a vet in my area... there isn't too many for large farm animals... so I will try to get information to help Dandy.

On the other hand, the rescues are doing great, they are ever so fat and thriving. The other day, we went to catch them for a ride and they kept running away from us... rather frustrating for me, but I felt relieved that they would actually run like that. Peg's legs seem to be doing much better lately, it shows when she runs. These old coots can be FAST! Finally brought them to me with some grain... those ex-racers!... They are still very well in their racing mindset, they wont tolerate being passed by another horse, unless reminded that they are pleasure horses now. Peg has officially been broken off of the pace, but she will occasionally do it... forgetfull mare! Pearl is still pacing, she even does a running walk, she has a nice elevated trot (when she does trot!) and a FAST run (when she decides to run!). Pearl has been in many more races compared to Peg and seems to have been more rough handled. Pearl is VERY nervous, she does not like to be saddled and is usually all over the place, weaving, pacing the floor, moving from side to side and breathing hard. Once the saddle is on, she is as insane... she usually takes the bit pretty well but she is still as amped to go. It's like her legs are burning or full of fire ants. Once the rider gets on, she calms right down (ok, not RIGHT down, but she calms down a bit). She can still jump up and do a 360 in mid-air without notice. She is nervous on the trail, but if there is another horse there, she totally relys on him.

So Peg is doing better with her legs and Pearl is still as crazy as ever... at least she doesn't rear anymore... she pretends she rears but one foot remains on the ground at all times, she just cocks up the other one to make believe she is rearing... to add to the feeling, she sits down a bit. She's such a drama queen. Pearl can't stand to stop and that's when she does her little fake rears. My sister usually rides her and has her completely under control while this happens. My sister is no longer affraid of Pearl. I strongly believe that Pearl was unknowingly thought this behaviour... weave and move on the cross-ties, while saddling and bridling probably resulted in getting out of work for her, pretend rearing probably immediatly got her out of work... over time, she learned that doing this gets her out of work. I do think they were recycled in saddle horses for a little while before going for meat... but with Pearl pregnant and crazy and Peg a little lame and stiff, no one wanted to bother to try and give them a chance after making much money off of them.

I wanted a companion for Dandy and a horse for my SO to ride with me from time to time. Peg was perfect for that... well after she would put on some weight. Older, calm, could ride occasionally... my SO threw in Pearl in there and bought both. Pearl was in-foal, so we expected three horses soon. That didn't turn out the way we would've liked, but I'm glad we got Pearl, she would've gone insane without Peg, the two were really inseperable.

I'll give you more news about Dandy's condition in the near future.

5 comments:

  1. NOTE: Everybody thinks Pearl is pregnant... but I think she looks good... considering her appearance when she first came home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could very well be the hay. Our 19 year old quarter horse, who never has an off or sick day starting couging and had a runny nose back in the spring. We inspected our hay more closely, noticed that it was dusty, but not moldy, so we stopped feeding the hay, put him on an antibiotic, and it cleared up in about 3 weeks. He has been fine since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What were you feeding him when you stopped the hay? Do you think that soaking the current hay is a good idea?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it almost does sound like allergies...But it seems an odd time of year for them to crop up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Badges, but she was fine all summer being on pasture... it's the only thing besides Heaves that I can think of... and she is a bit young for that (she is coming 4)... I know she wasn't fed very high quality hay before I bought her... could that have affected her?

    ReplyDelete