Friday, December 11, 2009

One last ride


Last weekend, we went on what could have been our last ride for the winter. I don't think I will ride the Stndbrds in winter and since Dandy in sick, I will try and keep anything that could irritate her lungs more out of the way.


I've found an herbal treatment for horses with allergies, heaves, stable cough, etc. and I want to try it on Dandy to see if it will alleviate her symptoms. I will also start giving her some feed. I've had a mixture prepared at our local feed store that consists of rolled oats and Linseed meal. I will add the medicine in there to feed to her. I don't think that she can survive on hay alone so I will try to help boost her immune system and health level. In the summer, she will be on pasture grass just like this year. It worked out well for her and she was fat (well not too fat!) and shinny. After that, I will assess her health again and adjust if need be.


I will start her treatment tommorow or Sunday. The product is well rated on the market and seems to work quickly to relieve cough and help keep it that way. I will see for myself in a few days. I also have to trim her hooves and that will probably be on Sunday, weather permitting. I LOVE to trim in winter, you can give them a break and not have to clean the hoof all over again. I will take before and after pics of my trim this time... her hooves are really long, I rarely leave them get this long. Since I am not riding her and adding my weight to the problem, I think she will be fine until I get it done. Dandy's hooves grow really fast. The wall is super healthy and thick which makes for really nice hooves. I will take many pics for you guys... I have to remember the flower setting!!!!


So I'll keep you updated on Dandy's status as she progresses... She seems to be doing better since the cold came in, I will look up more closely and in daylight this weekend.


Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to another educational post about trimming, make sure to post loads of pictures.

    I'm sure Dandy will perk up, it's just a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete