Friday, March 12, 2010

To sell or not to sell?

Don't worry, I am not selling my old mares. They seem to have settled nicely with the herd. Peg has come up lame again, so I am looking for shoes to put on her and Pearl, since Pearl cannot go 2 hours on a hard trail and Peg cannot go anywhere without coming up at least a little bit lame. They are not horses that we use often, merely once every 2-3 weeks, a bit more in the Summer and not at all in the winter. I am looking at urethane shoes, mainly EasyWalker Shoes. They have very good reviews on all the sites I could find about them and their wear compares to a metal shoe. The only difference between those and metal shoes is that they are flexible and allow the hoof to expand and contract with each step. They also have a small heartbar that promotes frog functions. I am sold! In theory, they should allow the hoof to grow faster and of better quality and promotes blood flow in the hoof by soliciting the frog. Basically, they are just like leaving a horse barefoot, without the possibility of them wearing the hoof wall too quickly and going lame.

Another advantage of these shoes is that they are non-slip on asphalt, they absorb concussion MUCH better than metal and that their composition highly resembles the consistency and flexibility of a healthy barefoot hoof. Here is the website if you are ever interested: http://www.easywalkerhorseshoes.com/ They are applied the same way a conventinal shoe is and there are precise instructions for your farrier if there are any doubt. I will try them out and let you know how I feel about them!

Now, moving on to the title of my blog. I have to sell two foals for a friend of mine. I am completely responsible for the sales price, and dealing. We are located in Canada, on the Quebec and Ontario border (yes, quite litteraly!), close to Ottawa. If you, or someone you know are interested, transportation can be negociated. Here is the description of the foals:
One filly (pictured above, sorry for the wet coat, it was raining when I took the pics), sorrel, one white sock on hind left, star and a thin blaze. She is about 10 months old, will be over 15 hh. She has not been handled, but is curious and should be very easy to train. She has a beautiful head and smart eyes. She is 100% paint, out of a buckskin paint mare, from a sorrel tobiano stallion. Both parents are broke to saddle, mom was ridden by a teen, dad is now a full time trail horse. Is not registered, both parents aren't registered. She is fast and agile, should be a good prospect for reining, barrels or hunter/jumper, nice movement. Please ask for price if interested. Serious inquiries only.

One colt, should become Chestnut with flaxen mane and tail. Big blaze, two socks, one on hind left and a small pastern sock on front left. Gorgeous head, nice neck set, very curious. Should mature over 15hh, is now 10 months old. Unhandled but should be easy to train. He is 50% QH and 50% paint. Out of a chestnut w/ Flaxen mane and tail QH mare, from a sorrel tobiano stallion. Parents are broke to saddle and are good trail horses, mom is a broodmare, was broke before, dad is now a full time trail horse. Unregistered, nice movement, should make a great trail horse. Very happy horses. Please ask for price, transportation can be negociated. Serious inquiries only.


I will post more pics at the end of the post. I know you'll probably scold me because these foals are unhandled, but at least they weren't ridden at 10 months (I've seriously seen an add like that yesterday!) They were allowed to be horses and are totally happy. They are very curious and should honnestly be a breeze to train. I am not responsible for those horses, I am only selling them for the owner who is very busy. The stallion has been gelded and is now retired from his breeding career to be a trail horse, doing fantastic! The breeding herd will be reduced and all of the foals to be born will be registered, therefore might be assured a better future. If it was up to me, no mare would be bred this year, but I cannot tell the man what to do. He is conscient that the market is down and will reduce the herd. He will also have to sell his horses for minimal fees, even if the recession hasn't affected our region quite as much, since we are a stone's throw away from the Nation's Capital a demand has been clearly made for registered foals... and coloured... which simply has nothing to do with anything, since conformation is the main part here. These foals are compact with long legs, should excel at pretty much anything! I do not make a dime on these, so I give you the truth to my best knowledge.


Here are more pics of the little ones. They are so cute, even in their winter pyjamas and wet from the rain! Note that they are very healthy, they have spent all winter out with the herd w/ access to a shelter, no known problems.


Little filly, peeking over her little brother's wither! Look at that awesome little face!

Chowin' down, you can see the difference in colour from the filly (closer) and the colt. They are very similar in colour, markings and personnality. I think that giving them grain before taking the picture wasn't such a good idea.... I couldn't get them to look at me if I was doing cartwheels in the field.

Filly in front of colt. The filly stayed there for a bit, little did I know, the colt went around and was sneaking up from behind me... that is how curious they are... next thing I knew, he was right beside me as I was taking other pictures...
In the mean time, these two made their way towards me... they actually left the "horsie" snow trail! The little appaloosa isn't for sale, the daughter of the owner wanted to keep her... and I made an offer to take her if ever he decided to part with her. She looks exactly like the horse I've always wanted!

These horses aren't badly conformated and are quite the lookers in real life. You kind of forget the sorrel colour when watching them move around.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment